Oncology and Hematology
In the past five years, PPD has conducted 500+ clinical oncology studies from early phase through post-approval and across nearly every indication, including solid tumors, hematology, hematologic malignancies, cancer-related pain and supportive care.
“I get great satisfaction from using my past clinical research experience and my current clinical oncology role to help our customers advance their products through the dynamic drug development process. Building PPD’s Immuno-oncology Center of Excellence has enabled us to bring the best operational practices for immuno-oncology drug development to our customers.”
The numbers tell an all-too-familiar story: too few patients and low-performing sites can jeopardize your oncology trial results.
- Less than 2% of patients diagnosed with cancer participate in a U.S. clinical trial
- One in four cancer clinical trials were halted early, with one in 10 stopped for poor accrual
- A panel of National Cancer Institute and American Society of Clinical Oncology experts identified two of the top barriers to oncology trial enrollment as a lack of trial awareness among patients and physician reluctance to refer patients to a study
OUR SOLUTION: Through our Accelerated Enrollment Solutions (AES) delivery model, we have built a network of 300 dedicated oncology sites and services.
Find out how PPD can help you begin enrolling oncology patients within 14 days – Learn more about our Just In Time Oncology Enrollment
Our collaboration with Happy Life Tech (HLT) combines their data technology, artificial intelligence and patient access with our global expertise in clinical trials and real-world evidence generation to deliver a comprehensive set of capabilities in China. Benefits to our customers include:
- The ability to effectively incorporate Chinese patients into global studies. HLT provides access to high-enrolling sites through collaboration with nearly two-thirds of the top 150 hospitals in China across 20+ provinces, covering 100k+ clinical doctors
- Reduced study timelines and faster access to data study
- Effective, efficient real-world evidence generation
- A deep understanding of the changing regulatory landscape
Evaluating the value implications of your compound early and often throughout the drug development process can circumvent potential pitfalls that can stall your drug’s commercial success.
Oncology markets pose multiple unique challenges, such as:
- Many single arm trials in breakthrough indications make comparative assessments difficult across competitors
- Lack of trial data for long-term survival outcomes and contamination of survival data by crossover introduce uncertainty in value assessment
- Diverse, fragmented patient population lead to heterogeneity among study populations and limit generalizability of results
Evidera, our peri- and post-approval business, accelerates the regulatory and payer approvals through evidence-based solutions that demonstrate the real-world effectiveness, safety and value of your compounds. Evidera’s successes include:
- Driving reversals of the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) decision in multiple oncology indications, including metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer, multiple myeloma, thyroid cancer and non-Hodgkins lymphoma
- Partnering with the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) CancerLinQ to evolve its data and technology into the world’s leading EMR-based oncology data platform
Evidera is helping biopharmaceutical companies evaluate their oncology therapies beyond incremental cost-effective assessments. Our Oncology Value Frameworks Tool identifies product value using existing frameworks, supports pricing and reimbursement value and identifies evidence gaps.
400+ immuno-oncology projects across 50+ therapies in support of 13 payer submissions in the past five years alone.
Find out how PPD can help you begin enrolling oncology patients within 14 days.
Optimizing Adaptive Trial Design
PPD partners with Berry Consultants, a pioneer in the Bayesian approach to medical statistics, an approach that is radically changing the way research is done throughout the medical industry. Our partnership brings together two pioneers in adaptive design, both committed to pushing the envelope of what modernized design can deliver. While traditional designs contribute to high failure rates and escalating costs because answers to pivotal research questions are obtained only at the end of the trial, adaptive designs leverage accumulating data so early findings can inform trials as they progress. These insights can accelerate timelines, reduce costs, generate more knowledge from a smaller number of patients and improve the overall quality of decision-making to identify the right dose for the right disease in the right patient.
Learn more about our hematology and oncology capabilities.